Windeatts is a leading law firm based in the South Hams District of Devon.
Believed to be originally based in Tavistock, the firm came to Totnes in 1832 and had its first office at 19 High Street, Totnes, a former Elizabethan Town House which the practice still occupies as one of its main office buildings.
Successive generations of the Windeatt families became partners of the firm and were prominent in the life of Totnes and its surrounding district. The Windeatts family also acquired other prestigious titles, being, Clerks to the Borough and Rural District Councils and Clerks to the Magistrates. Three of their number were awarded the Freedom of the Borough of Totnes.
In 1937 Col. Frank and Mr George Windeatt bought the solicitor’s practice in Kingsbridge of the late Mr. B.N.O. Prettejohn from his executors.
At that time the office was in Melbourne Place, but in the early 1950’s Windeatt and Windeatt, as we then were, moved to the first and second floor of our premises above 48 Fore Street, belonging to the late Mr Harold Harrison, a partner at the time. We incorporated the ground floor into the office in 1999.
There are no remaining members of the Windeatt family in the modern firm, the last member having died in 1994.
The practice has expanded and now occupies numbers 17 and 19 High Street and 5 and 6 Church Close, Totnes as its offices and also 48 Fore Street in Kingsbridge.